Monday, March 10, 2008

Spring, Sprang, Sprung


Spring has definitely sprung around here. The flowering plum are almost gone, but the fruit tree blossoms are coming on strong. I decided to take a few photos to share with you from the garden. I am happy to see my plum tree has tons of blossoms, these bright white blossoms are from my Elephant Heart plum. Last year I was rewarded with five plums. I am hoping I have many more this year.


My Red Haven peach was loaded with peaches last year. This is one of the best tasting yellow freestone peaches I have ever had. Judging from all of the blossoms on the tree right now, I will have a ton of peaches this year too.


Candy tuft, Iberis umbellata, is a plant often overlooked most of the year, but it's spectacular in bloom. The bright white blossoms seem to light up like a light bulb in the garden. This plant requires excellent drainage and does well in full sun or part shade.

One of my gardening friends years ago, had Vinca major 'Variegata', variegated periwinkle, planted in a circle in the center of her driveway. The foliage of the vinca was so beautiful all year round, I vowed to have this plant one day. The vine is planted in a kidney shaped bed next to the gift shop and it's now taken over the whole bed and routinely escapes its boundaries. Vinca major is an aggressive grower which I knew when I planted it. It does look wonderful in the dappled shade of the native willow trees. Three standard rosemary accent the bed of vinca and both of their blue flowers bloom at the same time of year.

Next time I hope to have some wildflower photos to share - they're unbelievable this year.